Helpful facts to get you through the winter season.
- The most effective way to prevent the spread of germs is to wash your hands regularly.
- Of all the people who become infected with the common cold virus, only 75% develop symptoms of a cold. The other 25% have the virus growing in their nose but have no symptoms.
- Mittens keep your hands warmer than gloves as the warmth from each of your fingers serves to warm the other fingers up.
- Hot baths and showers dehydrate the skin. Add a few drops of an essential oil such as geranium or ylang ylang, or add these to a moisturiser.
- Eating or drinking 100 grams (8 tsp.) of sugar, the equivalent of one 330 ml soft drink, can reduce the ability of white blood cells to kill germs by 40%. The immune-suppressing effect of sugar starts less than thirty minutes after ingestion and may last for five hours.
- Colds are caused by a virus so antibiotics won’t work.